Saturday, March 14, 2009

Another Mardi Gras Photo



I drew this from a photo I took during the Thoth parade on Saint Charles ave. Being a New Orleans police officer during Mardi Gras seems like it could be really aggravating and stressful, but this guy had a giant smile on his face the whole time he was out there.

I worked on this over a couple of sittings with a charcoal pencil and, while I am mostly happy with it, I think I kind of blew it on the left arm and a couple of proportion issues throughout the figure. There was a good stretch when I was living in San Francisco when my wife and I got pretty into figure drawing through some sessions with City College, but I haven't been able to find anything comparable in New Orleans. Working on this drawing has left me with an itch to get back into it, so hopefully I can find a place to draw from a model. I'd appreciate any suggestions if someone reading this knows of a place around town that isn't too expensive.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very nice drawing, you said "I think I kind of blew it on the left arm and a couple of proportion issues throughout the figure." but really the only flaw that I noticed is that his teeth look a little bit big.
    but over all it's a very good drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, I love the 'feel' of this drawing.
    Check out the New Orleans Academy of Fine Art- www.noafa.com.
    They offer a 'studio' class for drawing or painting on Monday from 6-9, short poses and Wednesday, 6-9 for a long pose. The cost used to be @ $10 a class. Also, there are 2 studio classes on Friday, 9-12 and 1-4.
    There is a $5 model session on Thursday nights from 8-10 PM above the Fair Grinds Coffee House off of Esplanade, near the race course.
    Very informal, but a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete